Belle Plaine Public Library Upcoming Events
Tuesday & Friday: 10:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
Wednesday & Thursday: 1:00 - 8:00 p.m.
** The library will be closed on Saturdays beginning June 3 through Labor Day Weekend.
The Belle Plaine Library is looking for summer library volunteers to help at the library with kids programing June 12 – August 16. Volunteers should be between 12—18 years of age. If interested please stop at the library for more information.
Monday, July 24 Open Mic and Art Night
Smalltown Eclectic & MELSA present Loud at the Library!
- Where: Belle Plaine Public Library, 125 West Main Street
- When: July 24th, 6 - 8pm
- Who: Open to all ages & abilities - spread the word!
Contact: Maria Ricke at email@example.com to reserve a space. Tables provided. Artwork can be propped against walls and book shelves. Bring your own easels for larger displays.
OPEN MIC Interested in performing? Arrive at 6pm to sign-up. Keyboard available. Professional sound system. This project is funded with money from Minnesota’s Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund.
Spotlight Storytimes: Come enjoy stories and activities with a different special guest reader every week! Every Friday from 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. beginning Friday, June 16
- 6/30: Georgine Gansen “The Letter P”
- 7/7: Belle Plaine Police
- 7/14: Zoee the Pig
- 7/21: Scott County Mounted Patrol
- 7/28: Unicorn Storytime with Lulu the “Unicorn”
- 8/4: To be announced
- 8/11: Local teacher Joe Ploetz
Thursdays, June 22 - August 10, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Crafty Science/Arty Smarty: Best for ages 6-11. Explore and make different art every week at this drop-in program – you’ll learn make pop art, wire sculpture, a Picasso mask, and more!
Tuesday, June 27, 10:30 - 11:00 a.m.
- SCHS Cornhusk Kids
- Best for ages 6-11.
- This traditional Native American toy has been around for centuries! Learn all about it during this program, and make a special cornhusk kid of your own to take home! Presented by the Scott County Historical Society and funded by the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage (Legacy) Amendment.
Tuesday, June 27, 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- Activities, games, & snacks based on the wildly popular Captain Underpants books and, of course, the brand new movie!
- Best for ages 6-11.
Wednesday, June 28, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Elementary Gamerblast Tournament slots are limited – arrive ten minutes early to sign up for the tournament.
- Best for ages 7-11.
- Blast your summer boredom with this free drop-in program featuring games, games, games! Make & take some Minecraft snacks & projects, go on a Pokemon scavenger hunt, or fight your way to the top for free prizes & snacks in our SuperSmash Bros Brawl tournament (Rated T for cartoon violence and crude humor).
Thursday July 6, 4:00 - 4:45 p.m.
- Mr. Lemoncello’s Escape Room
- Best for ages 8-11. “Locked” in the library meeting room with one way out, you must search for secret compartments, find hidden clues, and solve puzzles to plot your escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s library. The clock is ticking and time is limited, so teamwork is essential!
- NOTE: Please arrive on time – latecomers may not be admitted. The event is based on the book Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein, but you don't need to have read the book. Space is limited, and registration is required – register online or by calling the library beginning 6/13 at 10:00am.
Tuesday July 11, 3:00 -4:00 p.m.
- Perler Aliens
- Best for ages 7-11, registration required.
- Create a two-dimensional design for an alien then turn it into a permanent decoration through the miracle of Perler beads Space is limited, and registration is required – register online or by calling the library beginning June 13th at 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday July 12, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
- Robots and Aliens with Artistry of Bloomington
- Best for ages 6-11, registration required.
- Create the coolest robots, freakiest aliens, and most awesome planets and spaceships they can imagine. Sketch out your ideas in 2D, then transform your design into 3-D using fabric, wood, wire, foam, metal, and found objects! Space is limited, and registration is required – register online or by calling the library beginning June 13th at 10:00 a.m. Funded by the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage (Legacy) Amendment.
Friday, July 14, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Drop In Program: Green Screen Photo Booth
- Drop in between 2 pm to 4 pm to get a green screen photo taken. You get to choose the backgrounds, so go crazy!! You could be deep sea diving, hanging out with your favorite rock band, running from dinosaurs...the possibilities are endless! You will get the picture emailed to you, so you can print and share them however you like.
Teen Urban Art with Artistry of Bloomington
- Thursday July 20th
- Registration required, for ages 12 and up.
- Students will explore the various artists and styles of Urban Art and practice hand painting and stencil-making techniques. We will discuss and practice painting various “urban-style” text, develop our own “tags,” and create one large scale painted work. Space is limited, and registration is required – register online or by calling the library beginning June 13th at 10 a.m. Funded by the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage (Legacy) Amendment.
SUPPORTING YOUR LIBRARY
The Belle Plaine Friends of the Library welcomes new members throughout the year. Stop by the library for more information on the group and how they support the community and library.