The Hooper-Bowler-Hillstrom House is located by Court Square Park.
The Hooper-Bowler-Hillstrom house, was built in 1871 by Sandford Hooper, a Belle Plaine businessman. It was bought in 1886 by Samuel Bowler, a founder of the State Bank of Belle Plaine. Mr. Bowler added rooms and a two-story outhouse to accommodate his large family. The Alfred Hillstrom family moved into the house in 1901. Members of the Hillstrom family lived in the house until it was purchased in 1975 by the Belle Plaine Historical Society. The City of Belle Plaine now owns the house and grounds, and it is maintained by the Belle Plaine Historical Society. The house is well furnished in three periods-1850's and '60's, Victorian and early 1900's to depict what a house may have been like in the early periods of Belle Plaine. Also on the grounds is the Red Barn Museum with it's display of artifacts relating to Belle Plaine history.
Tours are available the second Sunday of the month from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. during the months of May through September. Additional tours are available by appointment.
Contact the Belle Plaine Historical Society at 952-873-6109 for more information
Link to Belle Plaine Historical Society page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Belle-Plaine-Historical-Society/246639705353593